introductory workshop on forensic filesystem analysis
Mattias Wecksten from Sweden is visiting Beijing in October, and he is offering us to hold an
Introductory Workshop on Forensic Filesystem Analysis
Have you ever wondered about what happens when you delete a file? When you format a partition? In this session you will learn about everything from the classical MBR to the details of FAT32. We will use standard commands available in most Linux distributions to image and analyze a small disk, find and evaluate the file structure and finally retrieve a file --- the hard way.
(Why FAT32? It is available for multiple platforms, well documented and easy to understand.)
This session will fit anyone with some prior experience with Linux and the command line interface. Programming experience, understanding of little endian coding or hexadecimal conversions will enhance the experience, but is not required. It could be the perfect starting point for the file recovery project, the forensic analysis project or for implementing a light weight file system in your embedded system.
Mattias will introduce the workshop at the BLUG meeting, and if we get enough interest we will organize it in the week after the meeting...
BLUG Meeting October 2014
While last month was busy with Software Freedom Day and Guest In Town events,
This Month we have again lots of activities, starting with a special guest at the BLUG Meeting
Mattias Wecksten from Sweden will introduce his Introductory Workshop on Forensic Filesystem Analysis
The BLUG Meeting is to short for the whole workshop, but we will get an overview of what the workshop is about, and why it is interesting.
Mattias is interested to meet people from the Beijing Security community, so if that is you, please join us and say hello.
(Update: If you are wondering what happened to Xuedi, he will be in beijing, but not on the 14th. He'll join us for a Chuan'r dinner instead)
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Location: Jazz Island Coffee （爵士岛咖啡二楼）
Address (Chinese): 东城区东直门内大街东扬威街11号楼(来福士大厦对面北侧)
Map: mapbar (via dianping)
Subway: Dongzhimen Exit A
OpenSUSE Asia Summit 2014 in Beijing (18-19.10.2014)
The Beijing GNU/Linux User Group is joining the Summit as Community sponsor.
Please join us at representing the BLUG at the event.
More information about the summit can he found at summit.opensuse.org
Coding For Fun Location Needed
We were planing to run coding-for-fun on the 27th this month. Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm a location!
If you know of any suitable location, please get in touch with us.
Our needs are:
- space with chairs and tables for 10 to 30 people
- internet access
- a projector or a large TV with VGA support.
- available from 11am to 6pm or longer...
- we are happy to order lunch if the place is a restaurant, but there should be no minimum purchase requirement because we are coming to hack code, not to eat and drink.
BLUG Tuesday in Changying (30.9)
Emily from the Gnome Users Group invites us to visit Shan You Hua near Changying
we have been here before in april, with 10 people joining, so despite the distance, this place appears to be popular.
because this is in the far east of beijing we'll meet a bit later at 7:30pm, right at the subway station
Date: Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Location: Changying Subway Station, Exit B.
Subway: Line 6
Page 1 of 41
- eMBee: lnxgnome, sorry, didn't see the message earlier, yes, i just announced the event for tomorrow.
- LnxGnome: Are there any BLUG Tuesday event this week?
- eMBee: lnxgnome: pong
- LnxGnome: ping
- eMBee: i am sorry that we had to change the location at the last minute. i hope noone got lost because of that
- eMBee: please watch the location for coding-for-fun
- persmule: “雕刻时光”=“sculping in time”=” “雕刻时光”=“<a target="_blank" href="http://www.sitcoffee.com/“">>>link<<</a>
- persmule: “雕刻时光”=“sculping in time"="<a target="_blank" href="http://www.sitcoffee.com/"">>>link<<</a>
- eMBee: we had a full house for HFD at the makerspace in beijing!
- Fred: HFD is today! Yeah!